Saturday 23 March 2013


'MIRAGE'
 
 
 
 I have decided my series will be the use of my Indigo fabrics. Some I have acquired, others I have dyed myself during a class with Magie Relph.
 
The background fabric had been folded and secured with paper clips before dying. As a result is had a linear, watery, reflective effect. On to this I have fused and appliqued 2 orange suns and 2 eclipses. I then bisected the piece with a strip of natural dyed fabric to represent the desert. I machine embroidered the Tuareg on their camels and painted them using acrylic paint. I then machine quilted the piece using rayon thread.
 
It is interesting how 'hot' the piece is though it is predominately blue! The small figures and the huge eclipses emphasizes the vastness and loneliness of the desert.
 
The Tuareg are known as the 'blue men'. The Indigo dye from the robes they wear colours their skin making them appear blue black. 
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment